Best practices: Increasing usability with Joule's advanced forums
The use of forums for communication content delivery and collaboration are one of the highlights of online learning. Moodlerooms has taken the Moodle™ core forum module and enhanced it bringing more control and flexibility to the teacher and student with a module called Advanced forums.
With Advanced forums teachers and students feel empowered to find the posts they want to read quickly saving valuable time in viewing and responding to posts. Teachers feel confident that the grade they are assigning a student is correct because they can view all of the student's posts in one screen while grading. Students and teachers alike enjoy an increased ease of use with quick simple views into the forums and their discussions.
Some of the key features of Joule’s advanced forums include the ability to:
- Keep up with what’s important to you with the ability to subscribe to only certain discussions within a forum.
- Sort posts by the post date creation date first name last name or the number of replies. Then control the order of that sort in either ascending or descending fashion.
- Mark posts that enhance and extend the discussion as “Substantive.”
- Bookmark posts that you need to return to later or that you may want to draw other students attention to in an instructor reply.
- Collect sensitive data from course participants by enabling anonymous posting while retaining the ability to grade those posts.
- Grade Advanced forums with Advanced grading methods like core Moodle™ Rubrics or Joule Checklists.
- Use the Joule Grader to quickly and easily grade Advanced forums.
Check out these three videos to see advanced forums in action!
An overview of advanced forums
Creating advanced forums
Grading advanced forums with the Joule Grader
Thanks for reading and watching!
Find out more
Open LMS provides world-class LMS solutions that empower organizations to meet education and workplace learning needs .